The Olmsted Fellow Internship Program is a prestigious opportunity for selected undergraduate and graduate students in a wide variety of academic fields to gain valuable, on-site experience at one of America's leading public gardens. The experiences may entail responsibilities in research, economic development, design, horticulture, conservation, public relations, marketing, environmental stewardship and sustainability, and other facets of the Arboretum's mission areas. Selected through a review process that incorporates such criteria as academic performance, demonstrated ability to achieve goals, leadership potential, and sound character, Olmsted Fellows are capable of developing and utilizing advanced skill sets that result in personal and professional growth potential, as well as contribute value to Arboretum priorities and service.
Olmsted Fellows have served in the following roles:
• Natural Landscape Crew – Focuses on natural resource management, trails maintenance, plant health care and vegetation management.
• Greenhouse Production – Focuses on plant production in a greenhouse and nursery facility including exhibit curation and evaluating plant performance.
• Environmental Education – Focuses on teaching skills relevant to environmental education, including scientific inquiry and best practices in education. Interns interact with area preschool and school aged youth in educational programming, camps, K-12 academic field trips, scouting programs, public programs and birthday parties.
• Graphic Design – Focuses on graphic art production, both computer-aided and multi-media, including 2D and 3D development and design. May also include working with museum exhibits and marketing efforts.
The North Carolina Arboretum anticipates future opportunities in the following areas:
• Information Technology – Focuses on IT and computer science experience related to application support, software development, network planning and implementation.
• Wedding and Event Planning – Focuses on providing planning support and facility rentals for our Green Wedding Program as well as other events and programs hosted on Arboretum property.
• Marketing – Focuses on social media and print and multimedia advertising of the Arboretum offerings and facilities locally, regionally and nationally